Biohazard Services in Cleveland, TN
How to Handle a Biohazard Emergency
Biohazard and Sewage Emergencies are unexpected, dangerous, and difficult to clean without proper knowledge and equipment. The two most common biohazard emergencies affecting homes and businesses are sewer backups and flood water damage. A failure to properly remove biological and chemical contaminants can seriously affect your health. While most of the biological and chemical contaminant removal should be left to the professionals, there are a few procedures you may follow in a biohazard emergency while waiting for help to arrive.
Focus on Safety:
- Ask yourself, “Is it safe to remain in the building?”
- Remember, exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Evaluate your surroundings. Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Know your limits. Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
Steps to Follow After Contamination:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
Protect Your Home or Business:
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Common biohazard scenarios include sewage backups, bloodborne pathogens, and methamphetamine labs. It is important to choose a highly trained and specialized company to resolve any situation involving dangerous substances. SERVPRO of Bradley County is an IICRC certified firm that provides biohazard emergency services. We are locally owned and operated, providing 24-hour emergency response. If you experience a Biohazard and Sewage Emergency in your home or business, contact us at (423) 614-5552