5 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Flood Damage
If heavy rains or other types of flooding are frequently forecasted in your region, there are several strategies you can take to prepare your home. You can help prevent extensive flood damage that endangers the foundation and structure of your place by planning ahead. You should be ready to immediately follow any evacuation order issued for Cleveland, TN, and only return to your home after authorities declare the area to be safe.
1. Clear debris from gutters and downspouts. Gutters and downspouts allow for proper drainage away from your residence during heavy rain. The accumulation of water around the base of your home during flooding can pose a threat to your foundation. As well, water collecting on your roof can work its way under shingles and cause leaks.
2. Have your basement waterproofed. A flooded basement can also endanger the condition of the foundation and frame of your home. You may install a water alarm that will notify you if water begins to accumulate in your basement.
3. Make sure your sump pump is operational. Install a battery-powered backup or a generator system that will work even if the power fails due to storm damage.
4. Elevate critical utilities and furniture. This can reduce electrocution risk and reduce the extent of damage to your possessions.
5. Be prepared to evacuate. Pay attention to flood or flash-flood warnings and watches issued for your region. Listen to the radio or check your phone's alerts. You should plan ahead to prepare your home and be ready to evacuate at any time with important documents and valuables.
These five steps are intended to help you prepare your home for flooding caused by any type of adverse weather. If your home has flooded, you should contact a storm damage restoration service in Cleveland, TN, as soon as possible to address primary damage and limit the extent of secondary damage to your residence. For more information, visit http://www.SERVPRObradleycounty.com/.