How to Prepare for a Storm in Cleveland, TN 37320
We may not live close to a beach, but the rain can certainly do some damage as we saw late last year with the floods. Storms can lead to an array of types of damage caused to your home, business, and rental properties. As we saw last year in North Carolina and Florida, the wind, rain, and debris can expose weak points in construction, such as poorly maintained gutters. Storms strike fast- sometimes without much warning. So, how can you prepare your home before a storm hits? Here are a few tips to ensure that your home, family, and belongings stay safe during a storm.
1.Know your evacuation routes. You need to have discussed and drawn out an evacuation plan in case you are pressed for time. The plan will give you the peace of mind that you will know what to do when disaster strikes.
2. Create a home safety kit. The Department of Homeland Security recommends you have:
- Enough water for each person to have a gallon a day
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered radio with extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Garbage bags
- Phone chargers
- Wrench or pliers
- Manual can opener
3. Be aware of your location.The National Weather Service recommends that you are aware if you live in a flood zone. If you live near a hazardous structure or area like a dam or river, listen to safety instructions from your local news and community.
5. Prepare your medications. If you take medications, make sure you know how to store them in case the power goes out for a few days. Medications that must be refrigerated can be put in plastic bags and placed in a cooler on ice so they remain cold, without getting wet.
6. Take out cash and fill up your gas tank. The NWS recommends that you keep cash on you at all times and a full tank of gas before a storm is scheduled to hit, in case you must evacuate in an emergency. You may not be able to grab gas during a state of emergency, and you might not be able to use a credit card if the power goes out.
Of course with heavier storms, it is always a good idea to have some plywood on hand to board up windows in preparation or as need. Flying debris during heavy winds can easily shatter windows, exposing your home to outside elements.
These are just a few tips for home and business owners, if you would like more helpful tips please visit our storm damage page or for help with storm damage cleanup call us directly (423) 326-1406.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
If a water disaster mars your custom built home, your quickest and most effective solution is to contact the experts at SERVPRO of Chattanooga. Call us at (423) 326-1406 confident we will restore your high-end abode and its contents from storm and flood damage damage.